Hospital of the Russian Orthodox Confraternity
Больница Русского православного братства
Route Pershing, close to Avenue Joffre (unbuilt)
Designed in 1934.
In November 1935, the cornerstone was laid at the corner of Rue Pershing and Avenue Joffre of "a spacious modern hospital," commissioned by the Russian Orthodox Confraternity. The land was obtained from "the Spanish brothers," and a 25-year lease was signed. The new hospital was supposed to replace the rented premises on Route Maresca, which had by then exceeded their capacity. The authorities of the French Concession issued a permit for the construction on cadastral lots 13520–13535.
"The modern hospital which will rise to a height of 5 stories on a fine lot of 7.7 mow, will be equipped with all the latest in the field of medicine and surgery. The main hospital consists of three large wings facing south and will be fronted with a lovely garden." "Arrangements have also been completed with a Chinese company to supply all the required materials for the building." (TCP, 4 Nov 1935).
In 1936 the project was revised and the future building was scaled down to 3 floors. The completion was scheduled for mid-1936, but the construction was abandoned at some point, and in June 1937 the architect Wm. A. Kirk was evicted from the US and brought to court in Shanghai on multiple charges of fraud.